/Heavy Combination Licence
Heavy Combination Licence 2023-08-26T03:15:45+00:00


Obtaining your HC licence in Perth from WestAus Truck Driver Training enables you to drive a prime mover/single semi or HR plus trailer greater than 9 tonnes GVM. This  opens many career opportunities in various business sectors such as mining, earthmoving, and logistics.

Course Enquiry

AutomaticSynchromeshUnrestricted Road Ranger

Heavy RigidHeavy CombinationMulti Combination

Heavy Combination Truck Drivers Licence

HC Truck Driver Training Perth

If you are looking for a career change or simply need to obtain your heavy combination truck driver’s licence, then WestAus Driving Training can help. Over the years we have helped hundreds of learner truck drivers obtain their HC truck licence in Perth and Western Australia.

An HC licence, also known as a heavy combination licence, covers you to drive trucks with a single trailer, commonly called a semi-trailer. This includes prime movers, truck and dogs/pig trailers, floats and low loaders without dolly.


The applicant must hold an MR or HR Australian licence for a minimum period of 12 months, and must have a Western Australian licence.

It is a logical step to obtain your HC licence and get some experience with 1 trailer before moving on to your Multi Combination licence.

You must also:

  • Complete an application form.
  • Provide 3 forms of identity (for example: a WA driver’s licence and/or learner’s permit, passport, Medicare, high risk).
  • Pass an eyesight test. The DoT requires all heavy vehicle drivers to pass an eyesight test before commencing any training.
  • Complete the required training and assessment.
  • Go to the DoT licensing office to upgrade to this licence class.

What can I drive with a HC driving licence?

  • A class HC vehicle is a truck, prime mover or mobile crane with a trailer of more than 9 tonne Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM).
  • An HC licence covers you to drive trucks with a single trailer (commonly known as a semi-trailer). This includes prime movers, truck and dogs, pig trailers, floats and low loaders.

Road Ranger

This gear box requires the clutch to be used twice to change up or down gears. This is an open class licence that allows you to drive any type of HC vehicles (double clutch).

Synchromesh (Unavailable)

This gearbox is similar to a car gear box with single clutch use to change a gear. This a restricted licence that allows you to drive vehicles with synchromesh gearboxes or automatic gearboxes only (single clutch).


This gearbox is a restricted licence that allows you to drive vehicles with automatic gearboxes only.